Get Kids Outside and Connected to Nature
Notice some litter at your schoolyard or a nearby park?
Help kids learn the value of public service and protecting the environment with the CPAWS Manitoba Student Litter Cleanup Challenge!
Nearly 750 students from 46 classrooms, after-school programs, and student groups took part in our challenge in the fall and spring of 2021, and the spring of 2022! So we’re excited to see how many more students will get involved this time around!
We’ve prepared all the materials you need to create a fun and educational opportunity for children to get outside and help make their neighbourhood a healthier place to live.
The lesson plan is tied to curriculum outcomes for grades K-12 in science, social studies, and phys ed, but the program will be a great activity for younger children as well.
“My students have advised me (especially on Earth Day in May) that Earth day should be EVERY DAY and it is our job as positive role models, to work together take care of our community and make it as beautiful as possible… for EVERYONE!” said Ann-Marie Bell, a Carpathia teacher whose classes participated in the 2022 contest.
The challenge, which runs from Sept 15 to Oct 31, 2022, is open to all schools, homeschools, daycares, and youth groups in Manitoba.
Three randomly selected classes/groups will win an Oh Doughnuts classroom party or will receive treats from a local bakery if the school is outside of Winnipeg.
Classrooms that encourage others to get outside and clean up their neighbourhoods by sharing their success on social media will get an extra chance to win!
How to Participate
- Explore the environmental impact of litter by sharing this lesson with your class.
- With your class, organize a litter cleanup in your schoolyard or at a local park or greenspace.
- Take photos of your great work!
- Fill out this entry form with the requested information documenting the class’s participation (name of school, number of students who participated, photo documentation of your success.)
- Inspire others to participate and double your chance to win! Post about the great work your students did on social media with the hashtag #CPAWSLitterCleanup and tag or mention CPAWS Manitoba in your post! You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. If you have a private account, please send a screenshot of the post to [email protected].
The contest runs from Sept 15 to Oct 31, 2022. Winners will be notified by Nov 4, 2022 so we can get your party booked before the end of the year.
Three participating classrooms will be randomly selected to receive a doughnut party from Oh Doughnuts! Double your chances to win by posting about your litter challenge on social media. Out-of-town winners will instead receive treats from their local bakery.
Rules and Regulations
Please read the contest rules and regulations here.
Connecting Children and Teens to Nature in Manitoba
This contest is part of the CPAWS Manitoba Outdoor Learning Program. The purpose of the program is to connect people to nature by teaching Manitobans about the value and beauty of our boreal forest and its wildlife. We developed a vast online resource hub that includes lesson plans designed to integrate with Manitoba.
Environmental Educator Avery Kash is continuing to develop the program by creating free and accessible resources and delivering school presentations and interpretive nature-based programming.
If you’re interested in booking a school presentation or learning more about our Outdoor Learning projects, get in touch by email. And be sure to join the Outdoor Learning Manitoba Facebook group, a place for educators and parents to connect and share resources.