Get Kids Outside and Connected to Nature
Help kids learn the value of public service and protecting the environment with the CPAWS Manitoba Student Litter Cleanup Challenge!
The program can work well as a remote learning activity. We’ve prepared all the materials you need to create a fun and educational opportunity for children to get outside and help make their neighbourhood a healthier place to live.
The challenge, which runs from May 1 to June 16, 2021, is open to all schools, daycares and youth groups in Manitoba. This can be done remotely or in person. If any students participate remotely, they can send photos of the cleanup to their teacher, who will submit them through our entry form. And remember to practise safe physical distancing and follow all public health recommendations.
Three randomly selected classes/groups will win an Oh Doughnuts classroom party or will receive treats from a local bakery if the school is outside of Winnipeg.
Classrooms that encourage others to get outside and clean up their neighbourhoods by sharing their success on social media will get an extra chance to win!
How to Participate
- Explore the environmental impact of litter by sharing this lesson with your class. This insightful, interactive video provides background information as to why this litter cleanup challenge is so important!
- With your class, organize a litter cleanup in your schoolyard or at a local park or greenspace.
- Take photos of your great work!
- Fill out this entry form with the requested information documenting the class’s participation (name of school, number of students who participated, photo documentation of your success.)
- Inspire others to participate and double your chance to win! Post about the great work your students did on social media with the hashtag #CPAWSLitterCleanup and tag or mention CPAWS Manitoba in your post! You can find us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
You can find all this info in this lesson plan PDF. In this document, you’ll also see curricular connections.
The contest runs from May 1 to June 16, 2021. Winners will be notified by June 17, 2021 so we can get your party booked before the end of the year.
Three participating classrooms will be randomly selected to receive a doughnut party from Oh Doughnuts! Double your chances to win by posting about your litter challenge on social media. Out-of-town winners will instead receive treats from their local bakery.
Rules and Regulations
Please read the contest rules and regulations here.
Connecting Children and Teens to Nature in Manitoba
This contest is part of the CPAWS Manitoba Outdoor Learning Program. The purpose of the program is to connect people to nature by teaching Manitobans about the value and beauty of our boreal forest and its wildlife. We developed a vast online resource hub that included lesson plans designed to integrate with Manitoba.
Environmental Educator Avery Kash is continuing to develop the program by creating free and accessible resources and delivering school presentations and interpretive nature-based programming.
If you’re interested in booking a school presentation or learning more about our Outdoor Learning projects, get in touch by email. And be sure to join the Outdoor Learning Manitoba Facebook group, a place for educators and parents to connect and share resources.