Are you passionate about conservation and connecting children to nature? Do you want to help protect land, water and wildlife?
We are seeking energetic and inspiring Environmental Education Ambassadors to support our Outdoor Learning Program. This exciting position involves delivering our CPAWS Environmental After School Program to students K-8 in Winnipeg and surrounding areas.
This position would be ideal for university or college students studying education, early childhood education, or environmental sciences who are seeking a part-time job during the academic year that can become full-time work during the summer.
We are looking to employ four people who will work in teams of two to deliver after school programming Mondays to Thursdays at different schools throughout the academic year.
The 90 minute program is delivered in a school’s greenspace immediately after classes are dismissed and runs once a week for six weeks.
The program begins with a snack break and some movement games to get kids ready to engage. Different nature-related themes are explored every week through crafts, games and other activities. One of the school’s teachers will be on hand to supervise and to manage parent pickups.
This flexible, part-time position of up to 15 hours per week begins in September 2022. There may be opportunities to work up to 37.5 hours per week from May 2023 through August 2023 supporting program delivery in schools, daycares and day camps.
Training will be provided prior to program launch. There will also be weekly office shifts to prep and sort materials and to discuss program delivery.
The primary responsibility of this position is to enthusiastically and competently deliver our environmental after school program in Winnipeg and surrounding areas.
Duties are to:
- Work with a partner to facilitate group games, crafts, scavenger hunts, and other activities for up to 30 children at a time for 90 minutes.
- Flexibly adapt programming and your approach to ensure children remain engaged.
- Discuss the program with parents at pickup.
- Organize and clean educational materials.
- File activity reports.
- Experience working with children is required.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills are required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong, collaborative relationships is required.
- Experience with program planning and delivery is an asset.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, organize work independently, fulfill assigned tasks and meet deadlines is required.
- At least one year of university or college is an asset.;
- A background in education or environmental studies is an asset.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is an asset (mileage is compensated at the government rate.)
Physical & Other Demands
- The ability to work flexible hours and travel to different schools in the Winnipeg area.
- The ability to work outside for two hours in variable weather conditions.
- The ability to lift bins of educational materials that weigh up to 40 pounds and to pull them in a wagon across bumpy terrain.
- First aid certification is required: training will be paid for by the employer if needed.
- The ability to work from home or in an open-plan office (we are currently performing hybrid work due to COVID-19.)
- Vaccination against COVID-19 is recommended and may become required should public health policies change.
- Clear criminal record and vulnerable sector check.
Diversity and Inclusion
CPAWS is committed to being an inclusive organization and is working to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We encourage members from the following communities to apply and self-declare in your application: Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Immigrant or refugee, People with disabilities, LGBT2SQ+.
Being a member of an equity group is among our hiring selection criteria. Your declaration of membership in any of these groups will remain confidential.
Please email a cover letter and resume with references in a single document to: [email protected] (subject line: Environmental Education Ambassador or fill in our online application form.
Applications are due by the end of day on August 29th, 2022.
We appreciate all applications but only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.